...taking a journey through life, attempting to fit all the pieces of this puzzle together...

PLEASE NOTE...this is my personal blog with my personal feelings...


01 October, 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. As some of you know this cause is very personal to me. I lost my grandmother to Brest Cancer in 1998. She was diagnosed in 1995, had surgery, went thorough chemo and radiation. Was told everything was okay three years later we learned it metastasized to her spleen, liver, and all over. In addition my grandmother's sister is currently fighting breast and bone cancer. She had a mastectomy last month. I had my first ultra sound a year ago after my doctor found a lump on my right breast during my annul appointment. Although everything was okay, it was fight to get my insurance company to pay for it. My doctor originally wanted to do a mammogram. I can remember for years asking my doctors to test me, in which they would reply it's not a immediate concern because it was your grandmother not your mother. Please don't take that answer from your doctors. Demand that they test you and fight your insurance companies to pay for it. Early detection can determine and save your life.


 


  Here is some general information regarding Breast Cancer that I got from the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Breast cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the breast. It is considered a heterogeneous disease—differing by individual, age group, and even the kinds of cells within the tumors themselves. Obviously no woman wants to receive this diagnosis, but hearing the words “breast cancer” doesn’t always mean an end. It can be the beginning of learning how to fight, getting the facts, and finding hope.


Women in the United States get breast cancer more than any other type of cancer except for skin cancer. It is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death in women.

Each year it is estimated that nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die. Approximately 1,700 men will also be diagnosed with breast cancer and 450 will die each year. The evaluation of men with breast masses is similar to that in women, including mammography.


Generally, early breast cancer does not cause pain. Even so, a woman should see her health care provider about breast pain or any other breast cancer symptoms that do not go away.





Common signs & symptoms of breast cancer include:

  • A change in how the breast or nipple feels.
  • You may experience nipple tenderness or notice a lump or thickening in or near the breast or in the underarm area.
  • A change in how the breast or nipple look.
  • This could mean a change in the size or shape of the breast or a nipple that is turned slightly inward. In addition, the skin of the breast, areola or nipple may appear scaly, red or swollen or may have ridges or pitting that resembles the skin of an orange.
  • Nipple discharge.
For more information please visit these websites:

American Cancer Society

National Breast Cancer Foundation



No comments: